Thursday, October 3, 2013

Horror and the Oculus Rift Are No Joke

 

Being scared can be fun, but one night of experiments proves this new frontier is going to be too much for some people.


It takes quite a bit to scare me. Granted, there’s a good reason for that: I’ve seen it all. The reason Shocktober’s lineup doesn’t include so many obvious films, movies that will be showing on AMC all month long, is because the moment something good comes along, I’ve consumed it. Horror is an addiction, and I’m always looking for the next high. Since my tolerance is so high, not much can grab my attention.

Enter the Oculus Rift.

There are a handful of times I’ve experienced genuine terror while experiencing a piece of horror. The basement scene in The Blair Witch Project. Going into a lake for the first time after watching Jaws. Surviving the water sequence in Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Experiencing Paranormal Activity in a tiny San Francisco theater years before its release, only knowing it was “a ghost story.” There are probably less than 10 moments in my life I’d describe as pure, whitehot fright.

No comments:

Post a Comment