Hey guys, so I made a post in the general overwatch subreddit giving some tips and ideas to focus on with orisa that have led to my success with the character. I actually had no idea this subreddit existed, and was told to post my tips over here too. Sorry if youve already seen the post! Anyway, heres some advice you maybe havent heard:
- Your shield should always be on cool down. Even if you have a great position for it when the ability is ready again, shoot it straight into the air. The one that is up stays deployed until the second one lands, but the actually cool down starts when you shoot it. This mean when it lands, you only have to wait ~3 seconds to be able to shoot another. Breaking this idea down further; this should be utilized in between team fights or when the other team is trickling in and not doing enough DPS to take the activated shield out. In full on team fights, your shield will most likely get destroyed before cooldown, so just deploy it straight to the ground in that case.
- Practice shooting your shield from far away into choke points, KOTH objectives. There are a decent amount of maps where you can reach the objective from a few steps out of the spawn. By the time that you get there you'll have another to use as you would like.
- the key to short range fights is to keep walking in and out of your shield. you will be very surprised how many fights you can win doing this. combo this with halt and its nearly impossible to die. This is a very good strategy against her biggest counter in tracer. Also worth noting, if tracer sticks you, walk through the shield and the bomb will stick to the shield and you can survive without fortify if its on cool down.
- at midrange, get used to exactly where halt pulls people and how long is slows them down for. once you master this, in tandem with learning the correct lead on your shots, you can kill sooo many characters with one pull (notably important and easy to kill: zen, lucio, and mercy if you pull her mid flight). Its also really helpful to always shoot it right at a Dva popping out of mech because it guarantees her death.
- always pull people from elevated points, no matter the situation. Even if you are not trying to focus them, they will always get flustered panic.
- try and always put your super charger out of LOS from the enemy spawn direction (but where your team can still be powered up aka a doorway or something), always put a fresh shield around it, and ALWAYS prioritize defending it over being aggressive for kills. It pretty much freakin nanoboosts the whole team and lasts for a very long time. If people come to destroy it, use halt to pull them to the other side of the shield. With the power boost, you can pretty much kill everyone before they can take it out. Another last resort option is fortifying and stand on top of it. I really want to emphasize the importance of keeping the supercharger alive. if you look at my overbuff stats, i have the single most average damage amplified per game. I think its a big part in maximizing Orisa utility.
- Also, ask the team if anyone like playing torb when your on defense. If they do, pocket their turret and its insanely powerful. There are a lot of people who are actually really good at torb but are afraid to pick him cause people get pissed. It lightens the mood if you ask if immediately ask if anyone wants to play torb, let along it being a VERY good strategy. I really think torbisa will become more and more popular (for better or worse, its kinda cheesy) as people catch on. Heres the my usual strategy trying to employ Torbisa while solo queueing: if someone does hop on the torbisa train, i first off will ask if anyone is good / likes playing rein so i can pocket the torb turret in a more obscure place. this is the strategy that i find is the most dominating. for example, on hollywood, if there a rein, with maybe a solider and another dps or something down low holding the big gate, i can stay back on the second floor that building behind the first point with the torb turret and maybe a healer. this is such a dominant strategy because the torb turret and I can fuck up and flankers going through the side room / a pharah flying over. but lets say no one goes reing and im the main shielder. in that case ill definitely prioritize the choke / stay on the front line and tell the torb where im going to be putting my shields and let him figure out what he wants to do. for the most part, if we get a rein, ill ask the torb if he has any places he really likes for his turret, and if not (or if i know a better place), ill show him what i was thinking. Also a fun thing to do is to have torb put a turret in a spot facing the spawn gates where you know its gonna die, then with 8 seconds before the match starts ill shoot a shield straight in the air and get back to where we're gonna hold. this pretty much gives a free, 1,100-HP turret to do its thing before it gets destroyed. then once it gets destroyed well set up where we normally do.
Anyway, heres my overbuff so you guys can check stats and stuff and see proof that this character can be extremely effective. Feel free to leave more questions here and Ill get to them eventually. have a good day homies, embrace the orisa revolution